>Job Opening: Director of Communication
Job Opening: Director of Communication
The Kansas Health Foundation has launched a national search for a Director of Communication. Reporting to the Vice President for Administration and working closely with the CEO and other Foundation senior leaders, this position will oversee internal and external communication strategies and plans, and implement programs to educate the public in ways that support the work of the Foundation.
EFL Associates has been retained to assist in the recruitment process. For more information or to apply, please contact Angie Salmon at (email@example.com) or call 913-234-1576.
Specific responsibilities for the Director of Communication will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and manages the implementation of an integrated strategic communication plan for the Foundation that encompasses: speech writing, media strategies, targeted outreach to key audiences, collateral, web and social media engagement, video projects, events, branding, strategic partnerships and new initiative launches.
- Manages the development and production of all communication materials including but not limited to: mass media campaigns, web site, annual reports, newsletters, intranet and brochures.
- Leads and participates in the establishment and maintenance of local and state media relationships and coordinates media coverage.
- Directs and supervises all event logistics and assists the President & CEO in speechwriting.
- Oversees the communication department including mentoring staff professional development and stimulating organizational learning.
- Develops and manages the annual communication department budget.
- Serves as a program officer as designated, particularly on programs related to public education campaigns.
- Coordinates internal communication projects to assure that internal and external flow of information is efficient and effective. This includes e-mail, the intranet, an information center database, as well as projects and assessments of communication within the organization.
- Continually assesses opportunities and implements strategies to improve grantee relations by defining and listening to constituents.
- Serve as the KHF liaison and project manager for large-scale marketing and Communication initiatives as assigned. Manages both internal and external talent.
- Cultivate relationships and collaborate with internal and external communication contacts, including vendors and partners.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, public relations, marketing or a related field is required. Graduate level education is preferred.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and speaking skills; the ability to simplify, explain, and interpret complex issues to the public, sometimes translating dense subject matter into accessible and compelling language.
- A professional track record of 7+ years in communication roles involving both hands-on work and strategic communication planning is required. A well-rounded background including traditional marketing, media relations, public relations, branding, campaigns, social media, web and print collateral is necessary.
- Must possess superior writing skills including speechwriting. Work samples/examples will be sought.
- Must possess experience effectively managing both staff and external vendors/consultants.
- Familiarity with the theoretical and practical aspects of communication is necessary, particularly from a health communication perspective.
- Proven experience and success in project management with a high degree of reliability, thoroughness, consistency, organization and accuracy is required.
- Experience in the development and execution of proactive and reactive media relations strategies is necessary.
- Understanding of the philosophy and nomenclature of social marketing, and experience utilizing social media to achieve organizational goals.
- Demonstrated success in consulting with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. Must be able to meet or exceed expectations regarding quality of work product, deadlines, budget and customer service.
- Must possess excellent writing, speaking, and presentation skills with an ability to communicate externally and internally with the highest degree of clarity and authority.
- Proactive self-starter and collaborative team player with a high level of focus on delivering consistent results and demonstrating value to internal customers.
- Outstanding organizational skills and detail-orientation with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be flexible and adaptable with an ability to thrive in an environment where priorities are addressed through influence rather than direct control.
- Must possess poise and maturity, a high level of energy and drive and a results-oriented mindset.
- Must have solid interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and develop credibility quickly at all levels of the organization.
- Should be tactful and diplomatic with good listening skills and an approachable team-oriented personality. Must be capable of building and sustaining long-term relationships.
- An ability to support leadership decisions by identifying risks and providing advice/counsel is necessary.
- A strong personal value system which includes unquestioned integrity, humility, honesty, strong moral character and respect for others, is essential.
- Must be a passionate advocate for the values and mission of the Kansas Health Foundation.
- Must be able to engage with a diverse group of constituents in order to gain knowledge and then impart the critical elements of the Kansas Health Foundation to a variety of audience.
Interested candidates may contact EFL Associates with questions or to apply. Email communication is preferred, and contact information is as follows:
The Kansas Health Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Foundation to provide equal employment opportunity without unlawful discrimination based upon race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other lawfully protected reason.